If you love eating, you can surely be a good cook, but to be an excellent one, you should have good critics at home. For that I owe to my husband and my children.

I dedicate this blog to the young ladies - "the starters".

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ginger Snaps


Ingredients

Plain flour - 2 ½ cups
Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Salt
Ginger powder – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon powder – 2 tsp
Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
Butter - 11 tbsp
Brown sugar - 2/3 cup
Vanilla essence - ½ tsp
Molasses – ¼ cup
Egg - 1 large
Zest of 1 lemon
Lemon juice - 1 tsp

Preparation

Sieve flour and baking powder together.
Add cinnamon, ginger and black pepper powder.

Beat egg and molasses (jaggery), lemon juice and zest.
Now add cold butter, vanilla essence and powdered brown sugar.
Into this add the flour mixture.
Mix well. Keep on a plastic paper and roll it into a log.
Keep this plastic wrapped log into the fridge until firm.
Slice thin to about quarter an inch, coat it with sugar and bake
for 15 minutes. Take it out and turn each ginger snaps
upside down and let it cool.

Store in an air-tight cookie jar.
Plain milk and cookies is a good combination.
Spicy ginger snaps and half a cup of hot plain milk
is a combination even I would like to vote for.

3 comments:

Chitra said...

Looks very nice , new to me..Iam sure it tastes gr8 with tea :)

Unknown said...

I like a hint of ginger in my cookies. This looks too good. I should try this sometime.

Muraligeetham said...

Good presentation!