If you love eating, you can surely be a good cook, but to be an excellent one, you should have good critics at home. For that I owe to my husband and my children.

I dedicate this blog to the young ladies - "the starters".

Friday, December 14, 2007

Meen Pollichathu with Orange Salad


Ingredients

Karimeen or pomfret -1 large
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Hot chilli powder -1 tbsp
Kashmiri chilli powder -2 tbsp
Pepper -1 tbsp
Shallots (small onions) -8
Garlic -2 cloves
Ginger - 2 inch
Curry leaves -1tbsp
Coconut milk -2 tbsp
Banana leaf to wrap

Preparation

Cut and make slits on the fish and clean thoroughly.
Make a paste of pepper, curry leaves, ginger and garlic
in coconut milk. To this paste add both varieties of
chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
Marinate the fish in this paste and keep aside
for 3 hours.
wrap in a fresh banana leaf and keep on a tava(iorn pan)
on a low flame for 20 minutes. Cover with a lid.
Turn the wrapped fish in between to cook
both sides evenly .
Serve hot...

Orange salad goes well with this.
Peel orange, slice onion and green chillies
squeeze lime and sprinkle salt.
Colourful and juicy salad is ready.

As no oil is used in any stage of its preparation
Karimeen pollichathu is very healthy.
This authentic cuisine is from Kerala
the land of coconut trees and back waters.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

momo...it loooksss sooo tastyyyyyyyyy

Sandeep said...

Looks really appetizing!
I'd love to try the oil-free approach, but alas... Banana leaves are quite a rarity in Massachusetts. (Coconut milk is always available.. thankfully! That keeps my mallu tastes alive.)
Do you have any suggestions for alternatives?

Do you ever try out biriyani recipes? I'm always on the lookout for variants... So I'd love to see the way you do it.

Your blog is quite amazing... Do keep posting!

Seena said...

Mini,
Happy New Year!

Mini Thomas said...

Happy new year to Seena and all our friends.
alternate for banana leaves -
a modern way can be aluminium
foil .As it gets heated faster
than a leaf takes less time to cook.No fault in experimenting.
I have posted a prawn biriyani
but some day will post a chicken
biriyani.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about technology, and how integrated it has become to our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory decreases, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4i[/url] DS OperaV2)