If you love eating, you can surely be a good cook, but to be an excellent one, you should have good critics at home. For that I owe to my husband and my children.

I dedicate this blog to the young ladies - "the starters".

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Cinnamon Chicken


Traditionally, all good recipes are passed on to the
new generations by mothers ; I learnt this wonderful
recipe from my mother in law; and my daughters
Leah and Merin keep up the tradition of making this
Cinnamon chicken in our family get-togethers .
Here, I am sharing this very personal recipe
to you, young ladies…

Ingredients

Chicken – 1 kg
Onions- 6 nos(big)
Potato – 5 nos (big)
Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon powder - 1 ½ tbsp
Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
bread crumbs - 1 cup
Water - ½ glass
Oil to fry

Preparation

Marinate chicken previous day or for  an hour in chilli, cinnamon,
Pepper, turmeric salt and lime juice.

Take the chicken pieces from the marinate, roll in
bread crumbs and pan fry it on  both sides
for each side a minute.

Add half glass of water and pressure
cook the chicken in gravy for 20 minutes.
Separate chicken from
gravy and keep aside.
peel and slice onions and potatoes
in round shape.

Keep a wok on medium flame. Pour oil for deep
frying potatoes. Deep fry potato slices until
golden brown and keep aside. In the same wok,
remove excess oil and saute onions until
golden brown. In a non stick pan, pour 2 tbsp of oil
and fry chicken pieces to golden brown.

Now mix fried potatoes, onions,
chicken pieces and gravy into the pan.
Add sufficient salt to taste and keep on medium
flame till gravy thickens.

Serve hot with rice or chappatis.

Tips

1. Avoid over cooking chicken,
or else the chicken pieces will
lose its shape while frying.
2. Onions and potatoes should not be
sliced very thinly.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

cinnamon chicken is something new..I love the combination of chicken and potatoes..hmmm and this must be your family recipe!!!

Mini Thomas said...

Thankyou Rachel for going
through my blog share it with
your friends and keep sending
comments.
mini.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Anonymous said...

i was kinda sceptical when i started of making this dish because both my husband and i dont like the taste of cinnamon too much...but trust me this dish came out to be just perfect..he just loved it..am sure i'l make this dish more often now...

Tanya said...

Cinnamon chicken tastes really good. It had a different taste from what I usually make. My husband and I liked the dish a lot and we have already shared it with our parents. Thanks a lot aunty for this wonderful recipe.

Anju Elizabeth Thomas said...

hello aunty.. i tried this for easter and everyone liked it. thanks for the brilliant recipie.

anju